Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Accupuncture Session


Today was my first of four childbirth accupuncture sessions. I went to the hospital where I'm planning to deliver and my midwife, Frau Wagner, peformed the accupuncture. It didn't hurt AT ALL! I sat down on a couch in a labor and delivery room, she hooked me up to monitors, and then before I knew it she had stuck needles in my hands, legs and feet. She told me that where the needles were placed will help with loosening the ligaments, tendons surrounding the uterus and will make childbirth better. Well, it's worth a shot right??

As most of you have learned, from my last babysites post, my doctor is on vacation until I'm almost in my 39th week. Well, OB/GYN's here (most of them) do not deliver. My doctor is in private practice by himself and with him going on vacation for such a long period of time, I decided to switch docs. I know this is SO far into my pregnancy but I have switched to a team of doctors that actually are the "docs" that are called in if there are any complications (i.e. need c-section, etc..). I met with one of them today and he did an exam. He told me that everything looked very good and this baby "shouldn't" be coming for a while as I'm not dilating, effacing, having any contractions, etc... so that's good (esp. for mom who is DYING to be here when Lily is born and does not actually get into Germany until 20 Sept). I have been having A LOT of pain over my left kidney area and I asked the doc to take a look, while he was doing an ultrasound on Lily. He said that that kidney is slightly enlarged but that he didn't see any stones. He gave me some pain meds and the midwife told me that if the pain gets too severe, they can admit me and manage my pain via IVs. Well, lets hope it doesn't come to that! ; )

1 comment:

Nina Long said...

You look GREAT!! I don't think I would like the needles but I also never had plans to give birth without LOTS of drugs! *ha* I will be praying for you! Nina