Friday, October 31, 2008

Savannah Story

Well, we are back in Birmingham and settling in (for a little while at least). ; ) Lily did SOOOO good on the plane (all three legs of it) and everyone was commenting on how good of a baby she was. I will always be thankful for this little girl and her EARLY ability to travel well! We were able to get bulkhead seating and they even brought a bassinet for her to lay in on the long stretch. I would HIGHLY recommend asking for bulkhead if anyone is traveling with a small infant/child., in the near future. Hopefully we are finished with long flights for a while though. ; )

Savannah was wonderful! The post is right downtown (very crazy) so that's good b/c most Army posts are out in the middle of nowhere (near po-dunk towns and all). The only part that really stinks is the drive from the "Ham"! We are used to travling 6-8 hrs (we drove pretty much everywhere that we traveled to in Europe) but I really was hoping the drive was about 5 hrs (turns out it's more like 6-7, depending on traffic). Anyway, the coolest thing in the world happened and I know it was a God thing. On the last leg of our flight, a lady across the aisle from me kept commenting on how sweet and good of a baby Lily was. Well, Lily started fussing a little bit and I apologized to the lady and told her that she had been wonderful but she's starting to get hungry again and I know tired b/c we've been traveling from Germany. I explained that we were military and were moving here. Our visit this time was pretty much just to find a realtor and scope out the area. Well, it turns out that the lady was an Auburn fan (we clicked right away...obviously) a mortgage broker, and her husband was from Birmingham! She immediately took a liking to us and told us that she really wanted to help us out and would set us up with the best realtor that she works with. Boy, was she right. Our realtor,Greg, is AWESOME! He took us all around Savannah and showed us the different areas. Savannah is really broken up and the areas are in pockets spread pretty far apart. We didn't find "the house" but definitely know what area we want to buy in, which was a great accomplishment for our visit. Greg told us that he had been taking mental notes about all the comments Hanz and I were making and had a pretty good idea about what each of us was looking for. He said he'd just start flooding us with emails of listings in those areas (after filtering) and we'll just set up a group of appointments , in a couple of weeks, to go back to Savannah and check them out. I'll keep you all updated on that.
Dad and Lauren get home from Brazil tomorrow and will meet Lily for the first time! I'm SOOO excited! Hanz's parents are going to fly in the first week of November (after voting day) and spend a while with their new granddaughter so that will be good also. I'm really glad to be home and look forward to seeing you all!

No comments: